Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas memories

When I was a child we used to spend Christmas at my grandparents. I remember when my grandmother, my aunt and my mum were preparing food for Christmas. There was always a lot of work to do especially a few days before Christmas and I was always helping them to prepare a cake or bake cookies. Everyone has something to do therefore my dad always brought Christmas tree and he prepared carp. There was always a lot of laughter. We used to listen to Christmas songs while we were preparing supper.




I was not willing to believe in Santa Claus but when he finally was about to come I was both excited and a little frightened. However when I was older I became wiser and I was able to immediately identify who was pretending to be Santa Claus. I remember one situation when my aunt was a Santa Claus and as I was sitting on her knees talking to her I saw her watch and I started telling that I know that she is not a Santa Claus that she is my aunt. On the other hand when my dad was a Santa I knew that he was pretending to be Santa Claus but still I was a little bit afraid and I was doing what he told me to do. I had always a task to do, e.g. saying prayer, singing song and I was doing it without any discussion. The mask that my dad was wearing was rather frightening.



When my grandmother was alive we used to sing carols after supper and during next two holidays. We spent a lot of time together. We were playing cards or other games like “Człowieku nie irytuj się”. My grandmother lived in the country and that is why during Christmas we used to spent some time outside. When there was snow we used to build snowman, sledge or there was a huge snowball fight between adults and children.



Christmas has always been a joyful and family time for me.

1 comment:

AgataL said...

It seems you had wonderful time as a kid. Nice :)