Thursday, January 22, 2009

A New Era?


The Obama’s oath was undoubtedly historical moment. The USA have the first Afro-American president in their history. I have nothing personal against Obama or the USA and if I were American I would be proud that Obama won. However, as far as I’m concerned, that is where the uniqueness of this presidency ends. I'm rather pessimistic about the Obama's presidency. I think Americans are too excited about the Obama's presidency. Nothing is going to change, especially when we take into account relations between the USA and Poland. The USA have never treated Poland as an equal and respectful partner. President Obama as well as the former president Bush didn’t even think about “making a call” to Polish President because they don’t treat relations with Poland seriously. Apart from this, the American Presidents called French and German Presidents. One striking example how disrespectful Americans are for Poland is the fact that many countries in Eastern Europe received permission to travel to the USA without visas, however, not Poland. Despite the fact that Poles supported American troops in Iraq and cooperate with the USA Poland still is not considered an serious partner. Obama won’t change anything in this area. Maybe for Americans something will change. However, if Obama doesn’t manage to improve economic situation in the USA his greatest supporters will become his bitter enemies. Anyway, the time will show what is going to happen… Hopefully my predictions turn out to be too dramatic. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Obama!

1 comment:

AgataL said...

It seems quite common among students nowadays to be very skeptical about politics. This wouldn't surprise me so much in my peers, but so young and so cautious and pessimistic? This must be something about your generation :) It seems Polish politics has given you a lot of reasons to feel that way, and I understand that.
I may sound naïve, but I do hope Obama's oath, and presidency, will be a turning point in world politics, especially in terms of mutual respect and good will. I don't expect miracles, but a change in attitude.
And Poland? Let's face it, the US is a huge superpower; we are not in the center of its attention, and never will be.